It is important to have a will so that your wishes will go into effect at your death. If you do not have a will, your property and surviving family’s affairs will be governed by statute law in South Carolina. Remember that although the statutes set out guidelines those may not go along with your particular wishes.
Here are some benefits of having a will:
- You can determine which of your heirs will share in your property (order of priority, and retrospective shares).
- You can also leave specific items of property to specific people.
- You can leave shares to a charity of your choice or to your church.
- If you have minor children or a family member who is unable to look after their own affairs, you can nominate someone in your will to act as guardian or care for the child or family member.
- You may make gifts into a trust, and appoint a trustee to administer your property to benefit your survivors.
- You can provide for final disposition of your property held by you and your spouse.
There are many benefits to having a will. We recognize that it’s not easy to think about things like this, but at least you can have peace of mind knowing your wishes will properly be carried out.
Disclaimer: If you or a loved one has been charged with a DUI in Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Summerville or anywhere else in the State of South Carolina, it is essential to contact an Attorney immediately. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney a call at 843-636-TREY (8739) to schedule a FREE consultation with Charleston criminal defense Attorney Trey Harrell or you can simply send him an email directly. At this consultation, Trey Harrell will be able to better explain to you the entire criminal defense process, what you are up against, any possible sentences and consequences, as well as begin to put together a plan for defending you, as well as answer any questions.
*About Attorney Trey Harrell: A former prosecutor and judicial law clerk, Trey Harrell defends clients against various criminal charges including drug crimes, DUI, CDV, and fraud charges, as well as college students and juvenile crimes. Additionally, Attorney Trey Harrell also handles Federal and State investigations. He also represents individuals in Civil Matters including Auto Accidents, Wrongful Deaths and various Professional Licensing Defense cases. Trey Harrell is the owner of Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney, located in Charleston, but serves clients across the Palmetto State.
**Please be aware that the use of this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. Attorney Trey Harrell is not your attorney until agreed upon in writing. This website, along with any website to which we link, is designed for educational and informational purposes, not as legal advice. Each person’s legal matter is unique and requires the review of an attorney licensed in that person’s jurisdiction.