Hit-And-Run: What Do I Need To Know?

Posted on

Were you injured in a hit-and-run accident? If the at-fault driver fled the scene, you may be left
with questions such as:

  • Will I have to pay a deductible for my property damage?
  • Who will cover my medical bills?
  • How am I going to find the other driver?</li?>
  • Will I have to hire a car accident lawyer?

South Carolina, like every state, has laws that prohibit involved individuals from leaving the
scene of a car accident until law enforcement arrives. These laws are in place to ensure that
people involved in car accidents get medical help if they are injured, police are able to get the
information to file a report, as well as to allow each party to obtain all the necessary contact and
insurance information.

In the majority of hit-and-run accidents, the drivers leave the scene of a car accident because
they were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or they do not have car insurance. If a
hit-and-run driver is located, then they will likely face criminal charges for leaving the scene of
an accident

What Do I Do After a Hit-and-Run?

If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, these are the first steps you should take:

Call 911. Even if the other driver left the scene, you still need to file a police report. The
information included in the initial police report may give law enforcement the valuable
information necessary to locate the other vehicle.

Get Medical Attention. If you or someone else in your vehicle needs medical attention,
be sure to give the 911 operator that information so they can dispatch an ambulance in
addition to having law enforcement arrive. If you are hurt at all, it is very important that
you are checked out by a medical professional and remember some injuries may not
emerge for a few days after the collision.

Jot Down All Information You Can Remember. If you saw the license plate number,
write it down immediately! Also, write down the make, model, and color of the vehicle as
well as any details about the other driver you can remember. Everything you can
remember will aid law enforcement in locating the hit-and-run driver.

Get Contact Information of Any Witnesses. If they can stay until law enforcement
arrives, they may be able to give details about the hit-and-run collision that you don’t
know or didn’t see.

Take Pictures. Take photos of everything at the scene, especially including anything that
might have contributed to the hit-and-run accident (for example, non-working traffic
lights, obscured traffic signs, hazardous road conditions). Take photos of the damage to
your vehicle as well.

How Do My Damages Get Paid in A Hit-and-Run Accident?

In the event the driver responsible for the hit-and-run accident is not found, you can file a claim
with your insurance provider. South Carolina law mandates that Uninsured Motorist (UM)
coverage be included in every automobile coverage, so that even if someone is driving without
insurance you can still recover insurance funds to compensate for damages such as medical bills,
lost wages, and physical pain. Although your insurer may make you pay a deductible for
property damage, they may be responsible for more than the total value of the car based on the
punitive damages that are available in hit-and-run cases.

Do I Need a Lawyer in A Hit-and-Run?

The issues you will have to deal with after a hit-and-run accident are not as simple as some
people would have you believe. From getting your medical bills paid to determining the amount
which you should be compensated, understanding these issues can help you better protect
yourself. If you would like to have any of your questions answered give our office a call at
843.636.TREY for a free consultation.

Additionally, it costs you nothing to retain Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney for your
hit-and-run auto accident case because we will handle your case on a contingency fee. This
means that you will owe nothing if we are unable to get you compensation.

Contact Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney. Getting Advice from attorney Trey
Harrell about your car accident claim is free. Further, you don’t pay attorney Trey Harrell for
representing you in a car accident unless the Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney wins your case. There is
almost no reason not to at least call 843.636.TREY and ask a question.

An experienced personal injury attorney at Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney that can determine exactly who is responsible for your injuries, who understands exactly how find the proper insurance coverage and who knows how to fight to get you the compensation you deserve for
your case. Trey helps by ensuring your case is managed to securing the best outcome for you. Schedule your free consultation with our award-winning local attorney today by calling 843.636.TREY or filling out our online survey.

Disclaimer: Information in this blog is intended for informative purposes only and not legal advice. Please consult with a licensed attorney before you make any decisions on legal matters. Further, viewing of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship with Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney. Matters will be handled by an attorney who primarily practice out of our office in Charleston County located at 2000 Sam Rittenberg Blvd. Charleston, SC 29407. Robert W. “Trey” Harrell, III is the attorney responsible for this posting.

Contact Us


For a Free Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
100% Secure and Confidential

By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Trey Harrell Law Office, LLC. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.