There are many types of collisions that can happen on the road, but a head-on collision is among the most dangerous. As the name suggests, a head-on collision occurs when the front bumpers of two vehicles collide. It often happens because one of the vehicles was going the wrong way or crossed the centerline.
A head-on collision in Charleston, SC can lead to life-changing injuries. If you were injured in a head-on collision, you need an experienced Charleston car accident lawyer on your side. Call Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney at 843-701-8029 to find out how we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Head-on Collisions in Charleston
There are various circumstances that can lead to head-on collisions. These include:
- Driving the wrong way: Driving the wrong way is a common cause of head on collisions. The driver may go the wrong way on a street or highway due to confusing and poorly marked street signs. However, they will be more likely to become confused about which direction to travel if they are intoxicated, fatigued, or distracted.
- Improper passing: A driver may try to pass a slower or parked vehicle by moving into a lane of oncoming traffic. They may think they have enough time to pass, but if they don’t, they may find themselves in a head-on collision.
- Speeding around curves: When drivers speed around curves, they run the risk of losing control of the vehicle and veering over the lane into oncoming traffic.
- Intoxicated driving: Intoxicated drivers are more likely to get confused and get on a road going the wrong way. Their impaired judgment can also cause them to veer over the center lane.
- Fatigue: Fatigue is said to be just as dangerous as intoxication when it comes to increasing the risk of an accident.
- Distracted driving: Drivers can become distracted by just about anything in the car, like road signs, their cell phones, or daydreaming. If they are not focused on the road, they could end up going the wrong way or veering out of their land into oncoming traffic.
What are Common Types of Charleston Head-On Collision Injuries?
Fortunately, head-on collisions don’t happen as often as other types of collisions. But when they do occur, they can cause extensive injuries. Here are some types of injuries victims may experience.
- Head injuries: The impact of a head-on collision can send drivers and passengers into their dashboards or windshields headfirst. This can result in head injuries ranging from concussions to more serious traumatic brain injuries (TBI’s). TBIs are quite severe and can result in permanent cognitive issues.
- Whiplash: Whiplash occurs due to the neck jolting back and forth rapidly on impact. It’s a common head-on collision injury.
- Organ damage: When a head-on collision occurs, it can cause drivers to be thrown into their steering wheels, dashboards or steering wheels causing injury to the torso area. The torso is the site of major organs such as the heart, liver, kidney. Organ damage is not always noticeable at first. That’s why it’s best to get medical assistance sooner rather than later.
- Broken bones: When drivers and passengers are thrown around the cabin, they may end up breaking arms, limbs, or ribs. The motor may also get pushed into the cab of the vehicle breaking the leg bones. Most broken bones will heal in time, but in some instances, they may require extensive surgery and cause ongoing pain.
What Type of Compensation Can I Collect for My Charleston Head-On Collision?
There are various types of compensation you may be eligible to collect for your Charleston head-on collision. These include:
- Medical expenses (present and future)
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages
Our Charleston car accident lawyers will assess which damages you can be compensated for and how much they are worth. We will fight to ensure your losses are covered.
Who is at Fault for a Head-On Collision?
The driver who leaves their lane to cause the collision will typically be at fault for the accident. While establishing liability in an accident may seem easy, it’s best to have a Charleston head-on collision lawyer on your side. They will make sure you get a fair settlement.
Injured in a Head-On Crash? Contact Our Charleston Car Accident Attorneys
You need an experienced and determined lawyer to help you obtain fair compensation for a head-on collision caused by someone else’s negligence. can result in serious injuries. If you or a loved one were the victim of a head-on collision, contact the Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney for the assistance you require.
Trey Harrell Auto Accident and Personal Injury Attorney is a Charleston-area lawyer with considerable experience in motor vehicle accident cases. We will help you gather evidence and build a strong case. We will fight relentlessly in and out of court to ensure your damages are covered.
Head-on collision? Make the decision to call Trey today at 843-701-8029.